What a brilliant idea! Cupcakes are always wonderful, and vanilla is an unsung hero of the kitchen so here is my favourite super-simple cupcake recipe that all ages of children will love to be involved in….
100g caster sugar
2 eggs (broken into a cup and mixed)
100g self-raising flour
1tsp vanilla essence
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C (160 for fan ovens)
2. Prepare 12 bun cases in a tin.
3. Cream together the margarine and sugar by using an electric whisk or good old elbow power.
4. Add the eggs a little at a time whilst continuing to whisk.
5. Add the vanilla essence and mix in.
6. Fold in the flour a little at a time by using a metal spoon and mixing in the shape of a figure of 8 until all the flour is mixed in.
7. Put a spoonful of cake batter in each bun case
8. Bake the cakes in the oven for 15-20 minutes. I always check after 15. The cakes are done when you can put a fork into the middle of a bun, and it comes out clean.
9. Well done! After the cupcakes have cooled down you can decorate them however you like. I make some icing by using 200g icing sugar and adding either lemon juice or vanilla essence to a desired consistency. You can then top the cakes with sweets or fruit.
The perfect teatime treat – enjoy!